reminded

by SHELENE

I always keep a 'grateful' journal with me to write of 2 things I was grateful for that day. It can be a good deed I did that day, a good feeling/emotion I experienced that day or even something that existed or was with me all along but took me only till that day to realize and to be grateful for.

Yesterday, it was probably my 2nd time taking the MRT ever since I came back. For some apparent reason, babies on the train kept smiling at me. Idk why but it's always such a heartwarming moment when you make eye contact with them and in return, you get a naive and the most adorable smile back ever. It reminds me a lot of my childhood, and my family.
That day, one of the things I wrote down to be grateful for was: I'm grateful to have a family to return to everyday.

It's the simplest yet the most important thing mos people always take for granted. We take for granted that our parents would always ask us if we're hungry or not, and they'll buy us food all the time whether or not if we want to eat. Because they don't want us to starve. Yet, when you come to think about it, they're the only person that would ask you the simplest things.
"How's your day?"
"Are you feeling better today?"
"Are you hungry?"

And we tend to forget. Because we're so used to everything they did for us. We take for granted that they're always the ones with us through everything. The good, the bad, the worst. We take for granted that they're always the first ones to forgive our mistakes before anyone else would. And we took for granted of their love. For us.

Before every year ends, my dad would always talk to us and ask us of our review for the year and our plans for the next. He pointed out that my biggest flaw wasn't about being too nasty, too kind or whatsoever. It was about getting over things.
He said I will always face problems in the future. Be it regarding relationships, friendships or my career. I have to learn how to let go.

Some people are getting more vile, more cruel and some of them are constantly trapped in their lies, was what he said. When times are difficult to get over, I shouldn't be fooled, to be led a strayed into playing their own game of lies with them. I shouldn't be continuously doing foolish things because of something that went wrong.

He told me to help more people in 2016. He said, all of the friendships, relationships or even us as family now happens for a reason. The people that we met, they might be people that saves our life in the future, people that can help us in the future or simply, people that need our help greatly.

"And irregardless of anything, do not shun away people. Help. Don't hate on anybody, because they might just be another one of those people that needs your help. They might not be the people you like the most but, still help anyway. Because you're more than someone that closes their doors towards people you dislike."

"Continue walking, even though at times it might seem tough. Continue walking, even though it might seem painful. Continue walking, with a smile. Get over everyday without hatred or jealousy. Things will always come to an end. Your current friendships or relationships that seem to be the most perfect thing ever in the world. Your future career that seem to be the best one you've had. The things you believe and trust in the most will come to an end. Cry over it. But don't ever believe that your life or your future will end because of them and better days will come again soon."


The best reminders my dad gave to me this year.